Sunday 15 May 2011

Streets of Malaysia !!!! part 1

                                                     JONKER STREET, MALACCA

                                             

    
  Two hours or less from Kuala Lumpur is Malacca... and peeps please don't embarrass yourselves by saying you don't know where Malacca is! Pleaseeee...
   Malacca is such a quaint city south of KL and right in the middle of KL and Singapore. It seems it was quieter in the old days - meaning my parents' time - but today especially during the weekends it is pretty bustling in the city centre.You experience jams heading into and out of the city    
       Well I have been to Malacca  for about 5 times but when i was younger it wasn't really interesting and I think it was still not developed properly. But I really a short but memorable visit in 2009 when I saw so many changes and activities to take part in.
  Oh yeah, this historical city which Paraneswara of Temasek (present-day Singapore) founded and named was awarded the UNESCO  Cultural World Heritage Site in 2008.
     There are so many streets you can walk along or drive through  but the one street that really impressed me was JONKER STREET!! I never even knew it existed but on that visit in 2009 I realised it was a place that had been there for ages.
   Jonker Street is the core area of UNESCO heritage site! Imagine that!! It's the centre of Chinatown and has such a vibrant feel whether at night or during the blistering sun. You see the whole world walking by - both Asian and Caucasian faces.
It has many old buildings dating back to it seems the 17th Century and they have both Portuguese and Dutch influences. The once dilapidated buildings have been given a face lift while still maintaining their facade.
 There are many art galleries and the like but naturally I was more drawn to the shopping outlets especially the clothes' stores that carried more ethnic and Asian-inspired motifs or designs. These clothes were a little costly somewhat like KL prices but they were NICE.
Also along Jonker Street were other shops selling antique wares, souvenirs  and some unusual gifts etc.
And there were no shortages of food outlets selling the famous chicken rice balls, nyonya ice kacing and cendol etc.
At night when we drove by there were some cosy pubs and bars but of course these were off limits to me as I was underaged!
    Even this year I went back to Malacca for the weekend and Jonker Street was on the top on my list! But this time the chicken rice wasn't so great but the cendol made up for it.
    This street gives you a different experience and you can just walk and walk and you wouldn't get tried cause you will get distracted with all the shops. If hope you haven't visited Malacca or haven't been there in ages PLEASE go and check out the place!! I am sure you are gonna have fun!!!
   Well I got to go but I hope you enjoyed reading this post!! Till next time!!=)

      


   P.S THE PICTURE IS TAKEN FROM http://www.google.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment